If you’re like me, you are probably reading this Razor RipStik review because you want to get your kid off the couch to do something fun outdoors.
Did you know that kids are sedentary for most of their day? They spend anywhere from six to eight hours a day glued to different screens or doing nothing at all. Sedentary lifestyles have been linked to obesity, which in turn can cause a lot of other problems, including life-threatening ones.
If I could venture a guess, you are reading this Razor RipStik review to help your kids get the 60 minutes or more of physical activity per day that experts recommend youngsters should have. Either that or you’re just looking for an excellent gift.
Whatever the reason, this is the only Razor RipStik review you need to read.
A Quick Look at the Razor RipStik Variants
No Razor RipStik review would be complete without a rundown of the various models for this product. There are many variants of RipStiks available from the manufacturer’s website. These models also share similar characteristics.
RipStik’s basic design is simple. It has 360-degree rotating caster wheels. The deck is composed of two halves that are separated by the torsion bar at the center. The smaller front half is called the nose while the bigger one at the back is called the tail.
Unlike a skateboard, the RipStik only moves forward. You also do not need to get one foot off the board to propel it forward. You just move your feet to gain speed.
RipStiks usually have the same materials. There’s the polymer deck, the removable deck plates, the slip-resistant and concave platform, and the rubber-padded steel torsion bar. Plus, the caster wheels that are made with high-grade urethane material.
1. RipStik Classic
- Unique Riding – The 360-degree inclined caster wheels and torsion bar allow for unique twisting and carving that can only be likened to the flow found in surfing and snowboarding
- Smooth and Steady – The 76mm urethane wheels with precision sealed bearings deliver smooth riding,and the slip-resistant pivoting deckprovides maximum grip
- Lightweight Design – With the high-tech polymer construction, the RipStik Classic caster board is lightweight, durableand trickable
- Great for Kids and Adults – Made for ages 8 and up, the RipStik caster board can with stand rider weight up to 220 lbs (100 kg)
- Pick Your Color Story – With four deck colors available – silver, blue, pink, and red – you can select the one that suits your style
Every Razor RipStik review is sure to mention the Classic model.
The RipStik Classic was the first RipStik available on the market. It is a cross between a skateboard and a snowboard.
Further, it has three-inch wheels and ABEC-5 bearing casters. That means that the bearings used in these products are precise and can go as fast as traditional skateboards.
These boards can carry kids and adults weighing up to 220 pounds. It measures 34 inches by 9 inches by 4.5 inches and weighs only 8 pounds. There are four colors available for the RipStik Classic: red, pink, blue, and silver.
2. RipStik DLX Mini Caster Board
- Incline caster trucks and pivoting deck provide snowboard-like carving ability
- Unique design allows acceleration and turning without pushing
- Concave deck for increased foot control
- Urethane wheels and high speed bearings for a smooth ride
- Recommended for ages 8 and up; supports riders up to 175 pounds
The RipStik DLX Mini Caster Board is a much lighter version of the RipStik Classic and weighs only 5.5 pounds. Additionally, it has a more compact build. This model is perfect for kids and for those who want to learn how to do tricks on a RipStik.
The RipStik DLX Mini Caster Board can accommodate kids and adults weighing up to 175 pounds.
3. RipStik G
- Groundbreaking caster board that acts like a skateboard/snowboard hybrid
- Spinning aircraft-grade aluminum center tub for extreme grinding
- Pivoting deck and 360-degree caster trucks enable snowboard-like carving
- Spiked traction pads, kick tail and nose, and concave deck design
- Maximum rider weight 220 lbs
The RipStik G features an aircraft-grade aluminum center instead of the usual padded metal. That makes it the ideal RipStik for grinding. It measures 34 inches by 9 inches by 4.5 inches and weighs only 8 pounds.
4. RipStik Brights
- The Classic RipStik caster board now in vibrant contrasting colors
- High tech polymer with removable deck plates
- Inclined 360 degree caster trucks and pivoting deck
- Slip-resistant concave deck platforms and high-grade urethane wheels
- Rubber padded steel torsion bar
The RipStik Brights are basically the RipStik Classic dressed up in bright and attractive colors. This model comes in three color combinations: teal and orange, red and blue, and pink and blue.
5. RipStik Air Pro Team
- Innovative caster board that acts like a skateboard/snowboard hybrid
- Single-piece pivoting deck and self-centering caster spring produces snowboard-like carving
- Spiked traction pads, kick tail and nose, and concave deck design
- 76mm polyurethane wheels and precision ABEC-5 bearing casters
- Designed for children 8 years and up; supports up to 220 pounds
The RipStik Air Pro Team is a one-piece variant that does away with the torsion bar. The change in design allows for the RipStik Air Pro to weigh less and be more aerodynamic. You can do more complicated tricks with this RipStik.
It measures 32.5 inches by 8.5 inches by 4.5 inches. It is also made with industrial-grade plastics and has a ribbed underside to minimize vibration and improve torsion response.
Other RipStik variants
There are also other types of RipStiks that are currently selling on the manufacturer’s website. There’s the RipStik Electric, which competes against motorized hoverboards. This lithium-ion battery-powered caster board can go up to 10 miles per hour.
You can also choose the RipSurf, which is another one-piece RipStik that also works like a skateboard, snowboard, or a surfboard. It looks like a miniature surfboard that you can ride on land.
Razor RipStik Review: Focusing on the Classic
The RipStik Classic is a caster board that brings together the mobility you get from a skateboard and the feel of getting on a snowboard. It has 360-degree caster wheels made of polyurethane, as well as spiked traction pads. The deck has a concave shape.
The RipStik Classic has ABEC-5 standard bearings, which is what the best skateboards use. It can handle weights of up to 220 pounds.
The removable deck plate is slip-resistant, while the steel torsion bar is padded with rubber. All in all, this makes the RipStik Classic fun and safe to ride.
Getting on a RipStik Classic
Riding a RipStik is pretty similar to riding a snowboard. The caster wheels and the pivoting deck work together to twist the RipStik and move it forward.
Razor RipStik review roundup
Each of the four colors of the RipStik Classic has its own listing on Amazon. The blue version has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, with close to 400 buyers leaving their reviews.
Verified buyers love how durable the product is and how fun it is to ride. You can get on a RipStik Classic as a beginner and then learn it in no time at all.
Some parents are amazed at how easy it is to get their kids off the couch with the RipStik. Not only that, but they also get to exercise and strengthen their core.
However, some people say that this won’t replace a skateboard. Even so, they admit to having fun on a RipStik. Some reviewers also suggest that kids should be taught not to get off the board to kick the RipStik with one leg to make it move.
There are very few negative reviews: only three percent didn’t like the RipStik because of problems with the warranty or with wheels detaching or falling off.
What you would like about the Razor RipStik Classic
It’s easy to see why people love the Razor RipStik Classic. It’s innovative with its design. It is also safe for kids to ride with a helmet, and some recommend wearing knee and elbow pads as well.
You can get the hang of it soon enough. The best thing about the RipStik is that it keeps both your feet on the deck. There is no need for you to take one leg off and push.
“I consider skateboarding an art form, a lifestyle and a sport. ‘Action sport’ would be the least offensive categorization.”
– Tony Hawk
This board is very safe and easy to balance. It works like a hoverboard without the electric parts. At the very least, you don’t get too tired on a RipStik.
If you are a skater, you’ll also like the tricks you can do on a RipStik.
Razor RipStik Review: Choosing the Alternatives
Coming up with a list of alternatives in this Razor RipStik review proved to be unusual. There are some knock-offs and copycats, but these are apparently unavailable.
So we looked at listings for hoverboards and skateboards and chose a few highly rated products to compare.
The Competition to the Razor RipStik
Any Razor RipStik review will undoubtedly compare the RipStik products to skateboards and hoverboards.
How does the RipStik compare to the EPCTEK 6.5″ Hoverboard, the RIMABLE Complete 22 Inches Skateboard, and the MINORITY 32inch Maple Skateboard? Let’s take a look.
1. EPCTEK 6.5″ Hoverboard
- Performance: hoverboard adopts anti-skid pedals, anti-skid tires, over-speed alarm and speed reduction, which can adapt to various road conditions.
- Bluetooth:You can quickly connect to Bluetooth when you turn on the iphone. The Bluetooth sound quality is clear, and you can enjoy the dynamic feeling of music during use.
- LED:Self Balancing Scooter hoverboard contains three lighting effects: exercise lights, light strips, and motor lights, which ensure the safety at night and show brilliant lighting effects.
- Easy & Fun - Full of technology and easy to learn for beginners and amateurs, design emergency safety protection measures to limit the speed of self balancing scooter hover board to ensure the safety of kids while them enjoy the fun of driving.
- It’s awesome toy for your kids, to accompany kids for complete childhood, and easy to learn, no professional skills need.
The EPCTEK 6.5″ Hoverboard is a self-balancing e-mobility device that is friendly to beginners. However, more advanced users will still find it enjoyable to ride. It has an array of LED lights that will keep you safe while boarding in dark environments.
It has 6.5-inch rubber tires and non-slip footpads to keep you stable. This hoverboard has a UL 2272 certification. The UL 2722 standards guarantee that this hoverboard will not catch fire or explode because it has an electrical system that is up to par.
It can also connect to your mobile phone via Bluetooth. This feature will allow you to play some jams while you ride.
Rating and reviews
The EPCTEK 6.5″ Hoverboard has an average rating of 4.3 stars out of 5 from more than 100 reviewers on Amazon. Fans of this product love it because their kids can’t seem to stop playing with it. The music from the Bluetooth speaker also makes it very enjoyable to ride while the lights make it look really cool.
However, some reviewers complain about components failing after a short time, such as the lights going out or the battery not delivering the promised run time. Some people also warn interested buyers that the Bluetooth on the Hoverboard may have problems connecting with your smartphone.
How it compares to the RipStik Electric
This hoverboard and the RipStik Electric pretty much make walking boring. They may work differently, but they do give you personal mobility that allows you to zoom across town without exerting too much effort.
The RipStik Electric has maximum speeds of up to 10 miles per hour, making it much faster than this hoverboard, which runs at only 6.2 miles per hour.
However, the RipStik Electric does not mention any safety certification that is similar to the UL 2272 of the EPCTEK hoverboard. On top of not being certified as fire-safe, more than 150,000 units of the RipStik Electric were recalled in April 2017 due to fall hazards.
The EPCTEK hoverboard also accommodates adults of up to 154 pounds. You cannot go over 143 pounds with the RipStik.
2. RIMABLE Complete 22-Inch Skateboard
- Rimable Plastic Cruiser Fully Assembled
- 22'' Long x 6'' Wide Deck With 100% Fresh Material
- High Quality 3” Thick Aluminium Trucks
- Super Smooth PU Wheel With High Speed Bearing
- Max Load Weight 198 LB (90KGS)
The RIMABLE Complete 22-Inch Skateboard uses top-quality aluminum trucks that measure three inches in thickness. On top of that, it also uses polyurethane wheels that feature high-speed bearings. All in all, this product is very durable and can accommodate adults of up to 198 pounds.
This skateboard measures 22 inches long by 6 inches wide. It comes in a variety of looks, from simple color combinations such as blue and green to more eye-catching and intricate ones such as Tuyanew and Galaxy.
Rating and reviews
The RIMABLE Complete 22-Inch Skateboard has an average rating of 4.3 stars out of 5 from more than 800 reviewers on Amazon. Verified buyers say that their kids were riding this skateboard within the first hour of getting it. They also like how lightweight it is. It is not too expensive while giving you good quality materials.
Some reviewers, however, say that this skateboard broke in half with just a few weeks of use. Others complain that it smells weird and the color peels off.
How it compare to the RipStik Electric
Like the Razor RipStik, this RIMABLE skateboard is designed for both kids and adults. The mechanisms for riding the RipStik and this skateboard differ. With the RIMABLE skateboard, you need to get one foot off the board to push it forward.
The RipStik, on the other hand, doesn’t require you to do that because you only need to push the board from side to side to propel forward. The RipStik goes only in one direction while the RIMABLE skateboard can go both ways.
Razor’s RipStik can also accommodate heavier adults of up to 220 pounds.
3. MINORITY 32-Inch Maple Skateboard
- SOLID : 100% maple deck, 7-ply hardrock maple cold pressed into 32x8-Inch deck, Max support weight 225 lbs. Mediate concave makes it ideal for any tricks.
- STRENGTH : 5-Inch trucks are casted by genuine alluminium alloy, equipped with carbon steel kingpin and 83A high rebound PU bushing.
- SPEED : ABEC-9 precision bearings are forged by chrome steel, work with 52mm 107A PU wheels. Fast speed is half success for tricks.
- SMOOTH : Rest your heart when cutting corners. The boards has passed maneuverability test on streets, ramps, and pools.
- STYLE : Strikingly attractive graphics range from trendy to vintage, make boards ideal choices as gifts.
The MINORITY 32-Inch Maple Skateboard is very easy to maneuver, giving you full control when performing tricks, going on ramps, or cutting corners. It’s a wooden product that uses sustainable wood.
This skateboard has a maple deck with a concave shape that makes it stable. On the underside, you will find the eye-catching design. There are 12 different designs that you can choose from, including cheetah, snake, baboon, and UkiyoeBL.
The MINORITY skateboard can support weights of up to 220 pounds. Its truck uses a genuine aluminum alloy cast and carbon steel kingpin. Further, this skateboard has ABEC-9 bearings and wide 102A polyurethane wheels. All of these guarantee high speeds with this board.
Rating and reviews
The MINORITY 32-Inch Maple Skateboard receives 4.2 stars out of 5 from more than 200 reviewers on Amazon. Reviewers like this skateboard because of how well it performs considering the affordable price. They can use it not only to ride but also to learn and practice tricks.
“Skateboarding is training, but I don’t think of it as training. It’s fun.”
– Shaun White
However, some reviewers note that it wears out quickly, such as the lamination separating from the wood, after a few uses. Others also complain that their board broke in two after practicing some ollies and tricks.
How it compare to the RipStik Electric
The MINORITY 32-Inch Maple Skateboard is one skateboard that is hard to beat. The manufacturers put a premium on design, making it one of the most attention-getting skateboards available.
What’s more, it is very durable and accommodates adults up to 220 pounds, just like the RipStik.
Stop Reading This Razor RipStik Review and Buy It Today
If there is only one thing that you should take away from this Razor RipStik review, it is that you should buy it. It’s innovatively designed, easy to learn, and safe to ride. It looks great as well, with its removable deck that sports a simple yet edgy design.
“Skateboarding has given me everything I have and created who I am.”
– Rob Dyrdek
At the very least, it will get the kids off the couch. It’s not meant to replace a skateboard, but it feels like riding one without having to kick it off to move forward. It’s more of a snowboard or a surfboard that you can ride even while you’re on land.
Do you have a Razor RipStik? How is it? Tell us about it in the comments!